Maybe I’m late, but this morning I get online and find out that North Carolina voted to ban gay marriages.
I’m frustrated, more than frustrated by this. It blows my mind how people can vote to essentially ban people from being happy. Because SOME people don’t agree with gay relationships North Carolina as a whole bans gay residents that happiness of marriage?
“Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.” -Abraham Lincoln
I’m not gay, but I have no right to tell someone else they can’t marry whoever they love. This is 2012, accept diversity already.
I did some research and I’m shocked by the 61% of residents who backed up the amendment. There are tons of things people don’t agree with but that doesn’t mean we’re going to change the law to suit everyone’s desires.
This topic really hits home for me. Because this is not an “issue”, these are people voting on other people’s PERSONAL lives. Not only do I have friends who are gay, but family too. And knowing them as people, real human beings, has helped me become more open minded to so many things. But the point is, they are STILL PEOPLE, WITH REAL FEELINGS. Same sex couples should not be denied their right to happiness and freedom because other people voted for it…
Just another random fact:
The last time North Carolina put an Amendment regarding marriage in their Constitution was 1875, when they banned interracial marriage.
I think this fact alone says enough about many people in North Carolina.
You DON’T have to agree with me on this matter, but that’s what’s so great about America. We’re all entitled to our own opinions, own beliefs & we should have the right to love whoever we love.
One last thought- We don’t vote on heterosexual marriages & “rules” and “regulations” heterosexual couples need to follow so WHY should straight people get to vote on what GAY people can & can’t do?!
- rucalane likes this
- dresl0ver5 likes this
- amber-starr likes this
- kerstinphotography likes this
- neural-plasticity likes this
- virgosplash likes this
- misha-the-antichrist answered:change.org/petitio…
- singmea-lovesong likes this
- iamrenaldo reblogged this from kailynlowry
- iamrenaldo answered:WELL SAID KAIL!
- kirstielol likes this
- incaseigothereeveryday answered:agreed!!
- seeleytimes2 likes this
- forlornprincess answered:I live in NC(unfortunately) and I voted against amendment one. When I found out it passed my heart was broken and I have been on a rampage!
- Ashley Catterton answered:kail i can’t believe all the mean things you re tweeted that people sent you about what you posted! its crazy, no one should judge you until
- taylorroundpoint reblogged this from kailynlowry
- taylorroundpoint likes this
- Haley answered:I’m not sure why you’re shocked at 61% of people voting like this. Not everyone is a liberal.
- neverthoughtidseeit likes this
- samanthacharlton answered:Stated so perfectly :) #acceptdiversityalready
- celebr8wewill likes this
- yourtypicalwallflower likes this
- Natasha Balwinski answered:I agree exactly,my mom was in a same sex relationship while i was younger,life was different but not harmful.Everyone deserves happiness&love
- amandisaurus likes this
- mcgmommy answered:Obviously it is more than just “SOME people”. Voting is based on majority, majority of NC voted in favor of the bill.
- despicable-briee likes this
- twolittlewhos answered:Amendment 1 also limits rights of non-married individuals against domestic violence claims, and those who co-parent but aren’t married.
- samuelrivera answered:Gay couples can vote on Straight marrige….they just wont win 61% is a big majority, North Carolina has made its choice, the right one BTW.
- lindsaygarton reblogged this from kailynlowry
- Haley answered:I am 100% for gay rights. However don’t bring up 1875 when this country has clearly evolved since then. That is an unfair comparison
- Haley answered:I am 100% for any marriage that results in happiness. However, don’t bring up things that happened in 1875 because that was a different era
- Ashley answered:Every one should have the right to choose who they love and marry I don’t see how people can sit there &make laws about others personal life
- Ashley answered:That is disgusting I can’t get it threw my head ether how some ones choise in partner can affect any one else but the two people in it
- wigge answered:Could not have said it better myself! Totally agree.
- Haley answered:I love how people who support same-sex marriage talk about “equality” and then bash people who don’t agree with them. Hilarious.
- lestrangebeauty answered:you tell them Kail! They finally legalized it in New York! I agree with you 100%
- 0hitsamazing reblogged this from kailynlowry
- Jen answered:This post makes me so happy to be Canadian! Same sex marriage has been legalized where I am from for a while now.
- Erica answered:You’re awesome. Thats all I have to say :)
- Gina answered:You go girl !!!!! Much agreed =)
- bobbibrooke answered:I promise we arent all closed minded here. This was the first time I could vote and I used it to vote against the amendment!!
- kailynlowry posted this